Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 37 Mercy

Day 37
Mercy
Richard Kirkland



During the Battle of Fredericksburg on Dec. 13, 1862, Kirklandâs unit formed behind the Stone Wall at the base of Maryeâs Heights and helped slaughter the Union attackers. After a day of severe fighting, the scene shifted from severe fighting to tremendous suffering. 

After dark on the 13th, doctors and soldiers began caring for the injured. The walking wounded made their way to the rear while those with disabling wounds remained on the field.

Daylight on the 14th revealed a ghastly scene to the Confederates behind the Stone Wall. About 8,000 Union soldiers had been shot in front of the wall and many of them remained where they had fallen. As hours went by without food, water or medical treatment, their suffering increased.
Nearby soldiers from both sides listened to the painful cries and pleas for help. While the suffering emotionally moved many, none dared face almost certain death to provide help.
At some point in the day, Kirkland could no longer bear listening to the pleas, so he walked over to the home of Martha Stevens. He went upstairs and told General Joseph Kershaw, his brigade commander, that he would like to try and help the wounded Union soldiers.
The surprised general at first refused the request, but he later relented.
Kirkland gathered all the canteens he could carry and filled them at the near by water well. Then, at extreme risk to himself, he ventured out to help the Federal soldiers. He carried water and warm clothing to the suffering Federal soldiers.
Kershaw anxiously watched Kirkland for 1 ¸ hours on his ãerrand of mercy, Christ-like mercy 
Kirkland went on to fight at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. On Sept. 20, 1863, during the Battle of Chickamauga, Kirkland and two buddies got out in front as they charged up Snodgrass Hill.
Realizing their predicament, they turned to rejoin their unit. Kirkland lingered for a fatal moment to fire one more shot and was mortally wounded. His final words were, "Tell my pa, I died right."

I heard this story during church about having mercy and I really loved it.  So, I am sharing it with you.  

I am thankful for mercy and for those who have shown it to me and I hope I can show mercy to those in my life or those I come in contact with who may need it even if I feel like they may not deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment